Friday, September 18, 2015

Recording: Knurl

Artist: Knurl

Song: [excerpt]

Recorded at Yonge-Dundas Square (Intersection 2015), September 5, 2015.

Knurl - [excerpt]

You can read my general notes on the festival here. Alan Bloor's Knurl project sees him generating and controlling layers of white noise via his pedals and custom-made circular sawblade "fiddle". In an enclosed space, the real beauty of the performance comes from finding the beautiful overtones hidden within the squall as the sounds bounce off the walls. In the open space of Yonge-Dundas Square, there was less of that going on, but it was particularly enjoyable to hear his roar settling over the concrete soundscape. At one point I was grooving to a particularly gnarly roar that was emerging, but when I turned my head I realized it was from one of the motorcycles revving up next to the Hard Rock Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment