Monday, March 5, 2012

1000 Songs: Colin Medley

1000 Songs: Colin Medley

I have now posted one thousand songs from my live recordings to this blog. My introductory thoughts on that landmark can be found here, but long story short: I asked some folks to pick some of their favourites to help me celebrate.

Colin Medley has been chronicling the underground music scene in Southern Ontario for the last ten years though photographs, writings, recordings and videos. He regularly posts on his websites colinmedley.com, morningnoonnight.ca and on twitter: @vid_kid.


$100 - Positive Hex

This is a song $100 played during the years 2009-2010. I was expecting it to turn up on their second album but it never appeared. Heck, at this rate it might never get released, so I'm glad Joe got a great recording of it. Love the way Ian and Simone sing over top of each other at the end.

Constantines - Justice

The Constantines were just the best band to see live, but I'll admit I took 'em for granted near the end. I caught almost all their local shows from Shine A Light-era onwards, probably close to 20 times. However, when I heard they were playing Wavelength's 10th Anniversary at the Polish Combatants Hall, I decided to sit it out. After all, I’d just seen them play four times a month earlier at their own 10th anniversary celebrations. Of course, what I didn’t know at the time is the Wavelength show would turn out to be the Cons final Toronto show, where they performed their first album in its entirety. Would have been nice to see.

Jon-Rae Fletcher - Big Talker

This is just a great recording of this song. Another show I wish I’d been at. Hope he makes another album one day. I feel like he should be better known. What an amazing songwriter… and that voice! Damn.

Sean Nicholas Savage - Grandson

One of my favourite musical moments of 2011 was seeing Sean Nichols Savage at SXSW. I know a lot of folks who have been digging what he’s been dishing for a couple years now, but I never got around to checking him out myself. So when he hopped on stage at the POP Montreal showcase, dancing and singing to his iPod-powered backing tracks, I was instantly enraptured and have been a fan ever since. He’s always putting out new records (three in the last year!) and I’ve yet to hear a bad song.

Braids - In Kind

I picked this one because it’s a new, unreleased song by Braids. I heard them perform it at the Polaris gala in September and had it stuck in my head for several weeks. I don’t know what else to say. I respect how much this band tours and I look forward to their next LP.


You can always click on the tags below to read more about the shows these songs came from. Have there been four or five songs posted here that made an impact on you? If you'd like to get in on the action and make a list, feel free to send me an email: mechanicalforestsound@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. I should add — for those of you modernites who like the "moving pictures", Colin's a dab hand at documenting some great bands.

    ReplyDelete