Saturday, January 9, 2021

Bumping into... Aline Homzy

Bumping Into... is a series of mini-chats with a variety of peeps that you might run into in some of our local music communities. (There's a bit of an intro and my thoughts behind the series here.)


How are you? Where are you?

Howdy! Thanks for asking. I am feeling cheerful yet fatigued. It’s really nice to bump into you in Nanaimo, Joe! The trees and plants are gleaming with life here as the clouds drop water onto us daily.

What have you been up to since March or so?

The top things I have been doing since March:

Putting my trail cam all over toronto. In search for good spots to set the camera, I happened upon families of foxes by the Etobicoke river, a coyote up near the Humber river... and so many beautiful birds. Captured lots of them on the camera as well and so many deer, mice and rats!

I’m really hoping to get some footage of some city cougars around here and maybe a bear (really pining to see a wolf but they are coastal in these parts).

I found lots of joy in walking and working out with my mom. We used the free YMCA workouts and had fun doing them together (though separated on a screen). Now that I’m momentarily living with my parents, we spend most of our active time walking outside.

Working on new music has been really quite strange. Bursts of melodies enter my mind and I sit writing them out... and a couple hours later, I have a string quartet piece finished and done. On the other hand, there are projects I want to complete (from before-pandemic times) that I can’t seem to get to. I’m learning a lot.

I’ve been doing lots of great projects for other people, at the studio at my parents here in Nanaimo, and working on all of this music brings on a sense of normalcy.

Have you found any new ways to do old things? How are you feeling about the shifts in how music is being made/shared/listened to?

I think about it daily. I have projects that were particularly meaningful and meticulously thought-out, from before the pandemic. I’m having a hard time letting go of the fact that they cannot be accomplished in the way that I had planned. On the other hand, I am thrilled to still be able to work creatively on other projects. I am really finding a lot of positivity from working on my own and creating music with and for others.

Any works of art that have been a light for you in these times? Anything that's just been a good diversion?

Since I’m with my dad quite regularly these days, we’ve been discussing and watching lots on the early days of jazz. I am working as a board member for the Nanaimo jazz festival here, which my dad started a few years ago. The point of the festival is to support the local community. We’re working now on a virtual festival that is supporting a micro community from the Comox valley to the Cowichan valley. We are celebrating the music of Canadians and specifically, we are highlighting the music of Canadian composer Shelton Brooks who was quite active in the first third of the 20th century.

How are you feeling about 2021?

We have all adapted so creatively and quickly to this new way of life. I’m anticipating that I will hold on to some of the new habits I have developed. I’m extremely lucky that none of my family or close friends have been terribly affected by Covid, health-wise and that I have had extreme privilege in this time to keep working so much and to take time to think of what my personal priorities are in ... life.

Anything else we'd chat about if we bumped into each other?

I would certainly like to know what you have been listening to and what you have been thinking about. I’m wondering, Joe if you’ve seen any good movies or eaten any interesting food lately? Oh! Also... Are you into politics?

No comments:

Post a Comment