Saturday, December 19, 2020

Bumping into... Ilyse Krivel

Bumping Into... is a series of mini-chats with a variety of peeps that you might run into in some of our local music communities. (There's a bit of an intro and my thoughts behind the series here.)


How are you? Where are you?

I'm pretty good! I'm in Toronto but still dreaming of escaping to some forest or mountain somewhere.

What have you been up to since March or so?

I've actually been super creative which feels great. Once the initial anxiety settled down a little I've basically just been hunkering down and making stuff. I've been making lots of music, doing various photography and video projects. I had two albums come out, one for my solo project eternalrealworld and one for my project with Colin Fisher, Indweller. I also released a couple more tracks on bandcamp. Other than that, as many hikes as possible.

Have you found any new ways to do old things? How are you feeling about the shifts in how music is being made/shared/listened to?

I've tried to get into the livestream thing but to be honest I'm not really into it. I really miss live shows more than anything else from The Before Time.

Any works of art that have been a light for you in these times? Anything that's just been a good diversion?

For whatever reason I've noticed I haven't been listening to as much music this year. Podcasts have kind of replaced a lot of that down-time aural space. My desire to ingest information has been pretty insatiable, and I guess it has kind of replaced some sense of socializing. At the start of the lockdown we watched every episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm from start to finish which was a pretty pretty good distraction from the stress.

How are you feeling about 2021?

What the world will look like feels like a pretty big question mark. But I'm feeling very inspired creatively so I'm excited about that.

Anything else we'd chat about if we bumped into each other?

We'd probably talk about what we think the music /art scene will look like after all this is (if it ever will be?) over. That this city feels less and less like a place for dreamers everyday, and that we all need to band together and take over some abandoned town and just forage, farm, and make art.

No comments:

Post a Comment