Monday, December 28, 2020

Bumping into... Luca Capone (a.k.a. Slamdunk Samson)

Bumping Into... is a series of mini-chats with a variety of peeps that you might run into in some of our local music communities. (There's a bit of an intro and my thoughts behind the series here.)


How are you? Where are you?

I am bundled in bed after waking up an hour ago (It is 12:00pm on a Saturday as I write this) after a much-needed sleep in.

What have you been up to since March or so?

Well, after deciding to end The Night Shift in December 2018, I realized as each month went by, how much I needed it in my life. I don't deal with change in the best of times, but this was like going without water or tomato sauce; Community radio was an essential ingredient in the fabric of my being. And so, with the world floundering in a state of confusion and fear in the spring of 2020, enough was enough. I started it up again with the temporary internet station Nowhere FM (anchored by Haligonian radio royalty, Trevor Murphy), before being welcomed back with open arms by CJRU 1280AM, and in just a couple months, I also found a home on the grid of the beautiful CJUM 101.5FM in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Community radio is all love.

Have you found any new ways to do old things? How are you feeling about the shifts in how music is being made/shared/listened to?

CJRU 1280AM has a way of doing radio live via the interweb, but I've been pre-recording and mixing and mashing everything up on Audacity. It's more work, and it lacks the fire of live radio but I love noodling with Audacity in general, especially when it comes to experimenting with beats and soundscapes, so it's been fun in that respect.

Generally, I think most music-streaming platforms like Spotify have no soul, character, and don't give a shit about the musicians, so I refuse to take part.

Just praying that shows become a solid, living breathing thing for musicians again sometime in the back half of the new year (Being realistic at this point).

Any works of art that have been a light for you in these times? Anything that's just been a good diversion?

Perfect timing, as I just released my Favourite 30 Albums of 2020 mix!!!

How are you feeling about 2021?

Hoping and praying that things start to steer in the right direction for everyone, especially folks who have really been kicked to the curb. Really looking forward to giving people the biggest hugs.

Anything else we'd chat about if we bumped into each other?

Damn, I would just want to give you a big fucking hug, you silly son of a gun! Hmm I'd probably ask you what you last ate, which is what I usually do, then ask you how your famjam is doing, and generally, would look forward to the next time we can drive down Marlee, as I ask more and more questions about interesting convenience stores and buildings, as we take flight south into the city to go play a show.

No comments:

Post a Comment