Monday, December 28, 2020

Bumping into... Jesse James Laderoute

Bumping Into... is a series of mini-chats with a variety of peeps that you might run into in some of our local music communities. (There's a bit of an intro and my thoughts behind the series here.)


How are you? Where are you?

I'm doing well enough. Any day above ground, am I right? I am living in brockton/little portugal throughout the pandemic. It's a real treat!

What have you been up to since March or so?

Walking, talking, cooking food, buying cooking implements with government money (it's our money anyway and anyone telling you otherwise can fuck off) and working on various records i've been kicking around my head for the past few years to varying degrees of success. I've become a much better mixing engineer with all of my free time.

Have you found any new ways to do old things? How are you feeling about the shifts in how music is being made/shared/listened to?

I built a guitar! I was already doing most of my mixing at home "in the box" as they say so not much has changed in that regard. I have found the time to get really focused on really small details that no one will notice but me, but I have a sneaking suspicion that those details affect people's listening experience whether they're conscious of them or not.

Any works of art that have been a light for you in these times? Anything that's just been a good diversion?

I binge watched the clone wars and realized that it makes most other star wars properties look like complete shit in comparison. I say this in all honesty, as a lifelong trek person. It was actually fun to watch!

I'm always trying to stay on top of the endless stream of new brutal metal albums. This one by Akhlys really sounds of the moment to my ears.

And i'm always going back to Bach, baby. And Blaze Foley.

How are you feeling about 2021?

Any day above ground, mate.

Anything else we'd chat about if we bumped into each other?

On the lighter side, probably gear. Like the volume pedal I bought to make sounds for stoners with. I'd ask you about which new devices you've incorporated into your setup. Talking about gear can still be fun as long as the person you're doing it with actually gives a shit about it. Check for eye contact, if it isn't there, change the subject.

If we chose to get into politics we might talk about how John Tory sucks as a mayor, how his homeless policy is both bankrupt of compassion and ideas. How his lack of action will most certainly kill people while he continues to make appearances meant to give the impression that he is helping even in the slightest.

We might also talk about how Doug Ford's efforts to "protect small businesses" seems to mean forcing them to close so big box stores can stay open without competition, leading to increased traffic in fewer places, thereby exposing the most vulnerable people, the ones usually forced to work for these larger businesses for low wages, to the virus disproportionately.

So yeah, how those guys are terrible might come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment