Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Bumping into... Jay Anderson

Bumping Into... is a series of mini-chats with a variety of peeps that you might run into in some of our local music communities. (There's a bit of an intro and my thoughts behind the series here.)


How are you? Where are you?

Doing pretty good all things considering. I’m in Toronto.

What have you been up to since March or so?

I’ve been keeping busy. I’ve had a lot of music come out which has been really nice. New projects, old projects. Some stuff I knew that would be out and some stuff that I didn’t think would come out. I was able to start some new collaboration and continue on some other ones that should see the light of day next year. Practicing more than ever. Keeping in contact with people I care about. Enjoying what I have and not taking anything for granted.

Have you found any new ways to do old things? How are you feeling about the shifts in how music is being made/shared/listened to?

I’ll be honest; I haven’t really missed playing live all too much. I miss the interaction with other musicians and the rush of creating something with others. Learning that you can still make music and not perform live has been something that I’m embracing fully. It seems that people are taking the time to listen to music a bit more intently. Without the live experience, you’re forced to take more time with the recording. Don’t get me wrong, I love playing shows, but after nearly 20 years of doing it consistently, the forced break has been welcomed.

Any works of art that have been a light for you in these times? Anything that's just been a good diversion?

Listening to as much music as possible. It’s as important to me as practicing and writing with others. Going down YouTube live music performance rabbit holes is always fun. Watching movies makes me happy as well. The well is never dry. Keep me hydrated!

How are you feeling about 2021?

I wish this city would give a shit about margilized people that this pandemic is really affecting. I’d feel better about 2021 knowing that those who have the power to do so properly look after them. Everything else seems a little less important in the grand scheme of things.

Anything else we'd chat about if we bumped into each other?

I’d say “Joe! How you been?” You keeping well? What have you been up to since March or so? Have you found any new ways to do old things? How are you feeling about the shifts in how music is being made/shared/listened to? Any works of art that have been a light for you in these times? Anything that's just been a good diversion? How are you feeling about 2021? I’ve missed you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment