Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Bumping into... Greydini

Bumping Into... is a series of mini-chats with a variety of peeps that you might run into in some of our local music communities. (There's a bit of an intro and my thoughts behind the series here.)


How are you? Where are you?

I'm doing alright. Been hiding out at my house in the junction and avoiding people. Taking alot of alleys when I go to the lcbo. I got really into listening to Meat Loaf records in the last few weeks.

What have you been up to since March or so?

Well I lost my job in March, and went to hide out at my partner's parents house near Woodstock. Stayed three months, I set up in their basement and recorded a new Greydini album called "the human one" which should be out in March. Found an old violin in their basement and taught myself how to play. I'm currently working on a six tape Greydini box set called "Mediocre Musician" which is all unreleased songs from the last eight years. That should be out in the summer. It's alot of work.

Have you found any new ways to do old things? How are you feeling about the shifts in how music is being made/shared/listened to?

I'm always trying to push forward and do things in new ways, I find it happens naturally without even noticing. I really tried to use this time to improve my skills, but it's been alot of day naps and screwing around. I'm really excited to see where we're all at when we're allowed out of our houses again. I have no idea what it'll be like. But I'm ready for anything.

Any works of art that have been a light for you in these times? Anything that's just been a good diversion?

We play alot of the board game Risk, it's been a great distraction. And watch alot of Parker Lewis Cant Lose. I listen to alot of Voivod and 2 live crew.

How are you feeling about 2021?

I'm trying to be positive, but also realistic. I miss my friends and the community. People keep asking me how it feels to not be out there playing shows and at first I said it didn't matter and I didn't care, but then I threw in a video for Cool Fest TV, and watching it I realized how much I get out of going to shows, meeting people, seeing the art they make and their approaches and perspectives. I miss that inspiration. But I know we will all be out there again before we know it.

Anything else we'd chat about if we bumped into each other?

I'd probably ask you how you've been doing and handling these unprecedented times !! And we would talk about the future and the cool new venues were gonna play.

No comments:

Post a Comment