Friday, January 1, 2021

Bumping into... Diane Roblin

Bumping Into... is a series of mini-chats with a variety of peeps that you might run into in some of our local music communities. (There's a bit of an intro and my thoughts behind the series here.)


How are you? Where are you?

In Toronto... managing.... up and down....... living on my own is an extra challenge during covid -lockdown. Very isolating. Also, I have been dealing with my attached neighbours decision to dig out their basement - which means jackhammers starting at 8:15am - 5pm every day!! Paper thin walls...... it is winter, covid, lockdown! The noise is unbearable... hence, I am forced to rent a space for the month of January.... there is a piano there - so it may turn out to be a very productive month after all - a new album could come out of it! at the very least I have an escape!

What have you been up to since March or so?

It's been a bit episodic based on what season and lockdown scenarios. Lots of long walks - 6-15kms several times a week with friends. Into cooking - it is very relaxing... I am a good cook and enjoy jamming from the fridge. For a short while we had a covid lifestyle - in fact, I had a gig at Emmet Ray in October… and I could meet a friend at a heated patio.... also in the Summer I did a lot more reading then usual - fiction mostly...... probably because I couldn't take any more news! I am a news junkie and prior to the US Elections - it was making me crazy - so I would go outside to my patio, turn the tv off and read. Now that winter is here, I should get back into that!

Have you found any new ways to do old things? How are you feeling about the shifts in how music is being made/shared/listened to?

I really really miss playing live with others…. the energy exchange from the music, connection and the hang. At the beginning in the Spring I was happy to freely improvise with friends here in Toronto and in Mexico.... but that got tired as Zoom wasn't a good platform. Now there are more reliable softwares i.e. Sonobus and JackTrip so may find myself connecting again with others... my whole musical world is via headphones.... c'est comme ça.

However, one very positive thing did come out of this... I connected with Sarah Weaver’s NowNetArts Inc. out of Brooklyn…. a wonderful ensemble of accomplished international artists, musicians, and video artists. She has been doing telematics for 15 years and put together an ensemble to explore internet connection during this pandemic. Players are from Singapore to Sweden. From April - June we got together weekly: developing tech, rehearsing for our weekly concerts. She is a very soulful composer and was a colleague and student of Pauline Oliveros. The early compositions were intense and very moving as it was the times of George Floyd, Brooklyn riots, NYC Covid disaster and a dark dark world. Her scores are created with Palettes using composition , gesture and improvisation. During early pandemic times, one score called Requiem Interconnection was very strong - Palette 1 was breathing: Palette 2 - Maya Angelou readings… 3. sorta bluesy tune for piano with free improvisation conducted weaving in and out via gesture and graphic etc.…. very inspiring and relevant to the times.... 7-15players. We are still performing but now once a month not weekly. Must say we became a family - as the closeness of expression during dark times brought us together. She is very up on tech and through her connection at Stanford etc. she has moved the performance from zoom (which had fallouts, latency etc) to us now being on JackTrip for audio and visual is Zoom through Vimeo hubs. I now have 8 inputs into my Scarlet interface! To be honest, i don’t always understand completely the tech but can follow instructions.

I am beyond grateful for Sarah’s NowNets - it gives me connection, consistency and creativity. And has added a very interesting and different platform for musical expression into my world. Will certainly continue with this when the live stage comes back. I will send you the link to our next performance as they are wonderful and fulfilling!

Also, I perform occasionally online with York University's Doug Van Nort's Electro-Acoustic Orchestra - soundpainting ...keeps me connected and creative.

Any works of art that have been a light for you in these times? Anything that's just been a good diversion?

as mentioned.... international ensembles, cooking, reading, walking, galleries when they were open, my cat Dooley is nutty and mostly loveable (lol).....

How are you feeling about 2021?

Truly who knows.... I am thinking about going into the studio to record some duos with various musicians... improvising with my compositions as the kick- off. Or maybe with the band - it is the only way I will get to play live - so am considering my options. ...usually I go to Merida Mexico and play with other musicians; not a fan of cold weather.... I have no idea.... just trying to stay positive, socially connected and creative.

Anything else we'd chat about if we bumped into each other?

Nope - just really great to hear from you - and always appreciate all the support you give to the Arts. How are you doing? Fill me in on your world. Your picture makes me smile! Wishing you all the best of the Season and a healthy, happening 2021!

No comments:

Post a Comment