Saturday, February 24, 2024

#mfs15 playlist: Andrew Finlay Stewart

MFS has turned fifteen! My introductory thoughts on this landmark can be found here, but long story short: I asked some folks from the MFS community to help me celebrate by picking some selections from the archives, and possibly sharing some thoughts or stories.

Today's list is from Andrew Finlay Stewart.

Apologies to Joe Strutt and the wonderful community around Mechanical Forest Sound for my lateness in submitting this little playlist. I’ve been thinking about it for a while and was overwhelmed by the depth of the archive, and I didn’t know where to start. But when I dove in and started revisiting shows I’d been to and artists I’ve loved, it was a beautiful, emotional experience. I’m sure most people reading this have taken a swim through the MFS back catalogues at least once or twice, but if you haven’t lately I recommend setting aside a couple hours and letting yourself get lost.


LUKA - O, My Heart is Full

Recorded at a house party, November 2, 2019.

The first song I’ve chosen is from a concert that was also featured in Del Stephen’s playlist (side note: go click on the Del Stephen tag here on MFS, you’ll find a stack of great recordings that Joe’s made of Del, both solo and with various collaborators). I feel like even though it’s been represented before, I need to pick something from this show because it was a house concert for my 30th birthday, in my basement. The lineup was Karen Ng, Luka Kuplowsky, and Charlotte Cornfield, and I can’t think of a better birthday present than their music. O, My Heart is Full! Just listening back to this, my heart fills up again and again. Luka is an absolute treasure. Hearing him and his all-star band here (Josh Cole, Thom Gill, Evan Cartwright, and Karen Ng) and a room absolutely jam-packed with people I love, singing along. I can even hear my own voice singing along to the choruses, and whistling at the end.

Joyful Joyful - At the Bit

Recorded at The Gladstone Hotel's Ballroom (Long Winter, Vol. 7.3), January 4, 2019.

The second song is by Joyful Joyful, at Long Winter in January 2019. I wanted to include something from Long Winter, because it’s a festival series that’s meant a lot to me, and which I helped curate visual art for a number of years. One project I was very proud of during my time at Long Winter, in 2018 we worked with Joe to present an installation and listening station of the MFS archives on tapes.
Joyful Joyful are an incredible band, and they make some of the most beautiful, haunting, soul-touching music I’ve ever experienced. Cormac Culkeen’s voice is transportative, and Dave Grenon’s synths are both earthy and otherworldly.

Army Girls - Twice

Recorded at SummerWorks Festival – S--------- Studio Theatre (Failure Fest), August 9, 2014.

Army Girls were a fantastic two-piece of Carmen Elle and Andy Smith. I’ve known Carmen for many years, and loved their music through solo projects, Donlands and Mortiner, DIANA, and more. This particular Army Girls show was one of the most memorable gigs I’ve ever been to, with the wonderful dancer, choreographer, and community pillar Cara Spooner disrupting and challenging the duo by moving their instruments and gear around the room as they played, never letting anything be comfortable or easy. Carmen and Andy rose to the occasion by putting on an incredibly dynamic performance.

The Magic - Call Me Up

Recorded at The Tranzac Club, December 31, 2009.

I moved to Toronto in 2007 as a teenager, and immediately started going to as many gigs as I could. One honorable mention I’d like to shout out, which is referenced in the archives from 2008 before MFS started, was The Kalimba Summit featuring Matt Smith, Laura Barrett, Njacko Backo, Kahil El'Zabar at the Tranzac. The one advantage of submitting this list late is I can see what’s already been picked, and I was happy to see Laura Barrett make Mira Martin-Gray’s list. Laura was an early gateway act for me into the scene, and I think that was probably the first time I’d ever been to the Tranzac.
Another early favourite for me when I moved to Toronto was The Magic. This recording is also from a Tranzac show, although I’m not certain if I was at this particular New Year’s Eve, I would try to go see The Magic at every opportunity in those days. This song was one of those gems one finds (especially when you’re young) that hits you just the right way and sticks with you, and makes you think “is this a perfect pop song”? I didn’t know local bands around my age or a few years older could make music that sounded like this. Everyone I knew was fumbling, experimenting, being noisy and loose, and The Magic were trying to make something slick and polished and beautiful. I’m still a little star-struck any time I see Geordie Gordon or Sylvie Smith around town, they’ll always be popstars to me.

Richard Laviolette & The Oil Spills - Funeral Song

Recorded at The Tranzac's Southern Cross Lounge (Out of This Spark 4th Anniversary Concert), January 7, 2011.

We lost Richard Laviolette last year, and it hurt a lot. I grew up in Owen Sound, and have been listening to him and his records since high school. He might well be my most listened-to songwriter, and the one whose music was deepest inside me and most influential. The album this song is on, All of Your Raw Materials, came out in October 2009, so it will also be celebrating its 15th anniversary this year. Richard’s music is beautiful and funny and sad and sometimes angry. This one is joyful and defiant and confident.
It has especial poignance now, as he describes his own funeral:

When I die don't call no preacher
And if I die I won't call one either
Leaving these words in all of the mouths
Of all of the people
People who can speak for themselves
And are much better suited on this particular day
To say a few words about an old friend
In their particular way

He told us what he wanted, and it sounds like that’s what he’s going to get. There will be a public memorial for Richard on March 9th at the Royal City Mission in Guelph, with music and toasts and stories, and I’m looking forward to celebrating him just like he asked us to, with the people who knew him better than I did, and some of the many, many people his music touched.


Thank you Joe for the invitation to participate, I promise I’ll get back to you sooner if you invite me to contribute to the 30th anniversary. Mechanical Forest Sound is so clearly a labour of love and to do it for 15 years is an incredible accomplishment, you should be very proud of yourself. You are providing a real service to our community and to listeners of the future. Plus you’re just such a nice presence at every show I see you at. Thank you for everything!


You can always click on the tags below to look for more stuff from these artists. Has there been five or so songs posted here that made an impact on you? If you'd like to get in on the action and make a list, feel free to send me an email: mechanicalforestsound@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment