Wednesday, February 21, 2024

#mfs15 playlist: Alma

MFS has turned fifteen! My introductory thoughts on this landmark can be found here, but long story short: I asked some folks from the MFS community to help me celebrate by picking some selections from the archives, and possibly sharing some thoughts or stories.

Today's list is from ALMA (a.k.a. Allie Blumas).

[Ed. note: This is tentatively the last one of these lists being shared, and I picked this one to go out on for the wonderful way it reinterprets the exercise, sharing something new-to-me instead of digging theough the catacombs. There's still a lot of music out there to explore.]


I picked these tracks because they all express my love of new agey, spa, meditation music as well as my love of experimentation, improv and avante garde music. All of these songs were made in one sitting during the years 2020-2021. During these years I wanted to explore the process of making music from a less performative place. All of these songs were recorded in a moment of need to release an emotion or expression. Because of this I wanted to share them with the world in the exact way they had come out of me. None of these expressions have been edited, mixed, masterd or altered in any way. These explorations exist in their original and singular forms to best convey the moment and headspace that I was in when they arrived. These explorations exist as a kind of meditative practice on presence and impermanence.


As well as being a musician I am also a dancer and death doula. I recently made a Death, Dying & Grief Workbook that included a guided meditation on impermanence. I wanted to include this meditation because It dances around themes expressed in the other 4 tracks, but is also something that requires a different kind of listening and engagement.


Congrats to Joe on 15 amazing years of MFS. I've had the pleasure of participating at TCB a few times, once with a group and once as a solo. We are incredibly lucky to have Joe doing this amazing and important work of documenting the experimental music scene and through that documenting the history of something that means so much to so many people. I feel honoured to be included and so lucky to have connected with Joe and so grateful to all the work that he's been doing with MFS. Here's to 15 more years!
Happy 15th Anniversary.


You can always click on the tags below to look for more stuff from these artists. Has there been five or so songs posted here that made an impact on you? If you'd like to get in on the action and make a list, feel free to send me an email: mechanicalforestsound@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment