Friday, February 5, 2021

Bumping into... Paul Newman

Bumping Into... is a series of mini-chats with a variety of peeps that you might run into in some of our local music communities. (There's a bit of an intro and my thoughts behind the series here.)


How are you? Where are you?

I'm still in Toronto, and doing pretty well.

What have you been up to since March or so?

I've been working at two projects: Copernicus, which is a very long piece designed to last from dawn till dusk on the Winter solstice and involves a lot of loops; it's a very Cosmic Homeostasis-influenced piece; and a new set of solo music which I hope to have up on Bandcamp by the start of March, it's called Time is Both Concrete and Elastic.

Have you found any new ways to do old things? How are you feeling about the shifts in how music is being made/shared/listened to?

I have been discovering Bandcamp lately and am really liking that I can buy all the great records my friends are making even though I don't get to see them. So if you have a new record, please send me a Bandcamp link!

Any works of art that have been a light for you in these times? Anything that's just been a good diversion?

I've been doing a lot of reading, although I'm drawing a blank at the moment on exactly what I've been reading. I've also been listening more than usual, and have particularly enjoyed Twelve Psalms of Repentance by Alfred Schnittke.

How are you feeling about 2021?

It's going to be magic when we can play together again. I've had a pretty productive time during the epidemic. I have enjoyed the quietness of life and have learned a lot about playing the saxophone. So it's been good to have this time to breathe, but it will be nice to see regular life restored at some point in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment