Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Recording: Joe Strutt

Artist: Joe Strutt

Songs: Garth's Lament + I'll Travel With You

Recorded at The Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), April 25, 2019.

Joe Strutt - Garth's Lament

Joe Strutt - I'll Travel With You

This night of left-field explorations curated by Karen Ng saw four locals performing short sets on instruments they "can't" play. After three deeply skilled musicians, the night was closed out by this performer (well, okay, yours truly), showing more moxie than chops. Taking the ukulele as a sound-making device, I did some percussive/feedback explorations (the rehearsal take of which is preserved on this compilation album) but then, hubris really set in and I unleashed a couple outsider-folk tunes inspired by the notoriously bad 70's CanCon sci-fi series The Starlost. It's hard to self-evaluate here (especially as I listen to me forgetting the three ukulele chords I'd crammed on in real time) but it was fun to get a chance to do something goofy like this in front of an indulging audience. When I first acquired my cheap mail-order uke, I had the idea of crafting a full-on Starlost concept album under a pseudonym, but this is probably as far as I can push the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment