Thursday, October 4, 2018

Recording: Ken McDonald 4

Artist: Ken McDonald 4

Song: Once I Loved [composer: Antônio Carlos Jobim]

Recorded at The Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), August 21, 2018.

Ken McDonald 4 - Once I Loved

Although there's a certain amount of fluidity for both performers and audiences, there's definitely a separation between the local "jazz" and "free improv" scenes. I hew to the latter, so there's a whole cadre of musicians that I don't tend to see as much. I was actually most familiar with bassist Ken McDonald as someone I'd see slipping into the Southern Comfort towards the end of the night, checking out more music after whatever gig he was playing wrapped up. Guitarist Don Scott is a little familiar to me from Peripheral Vision and FOG, but drummer Tim Shia and trombonist Karl Silveira were new discoveries for me — there's always more amazing stuff just out of our regular comfort zones. The group played a tasty set of standards, and though there's a bit of chatter from the table behind me on this song [what is this, The Rex? shakes fist] this soothingly melancholy bossa breeze stuck with me the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment