Thursday, February 19, 2009

Album: Bruce Peninsula / A Mountain is a Mouth

Artist: Bruce Peninsula

Title: A Mountain is a Mouth

I was worried going in that the vibe was going to be all New Main Street Singers, but fortunately it was closer to The New Christy Minstrels. And I was even more worried that the choir was going to be more gimmick than high concept, which also wasn't the case. But, even with my initial fears laid to rest, I can't say this totally won me over. Although I can appreciate all the formal elements - the songs, voices, arrangements - it just doesn't hang together in a way that excites me. Maybe it's that their approach to the folk tradition feels slightly stiff and earnest, but this just doesn't swing. Which is perfectly valid, of course, but doesn't make me an immediate fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment