Monday, May 31, 2021

Monday Roundup #20

In the absence of concert listings, my regular Monday dispatches have fallen off. After bringing some life to the blog with the "bumping into" series, I figure I should get back in the groove. I'm guessing that this will be a bit like what used to get shoved into the end of the post when I was doing listings — some bandcamp suggestions, nods to a few livestreams, and sundry community notes (email me if you have anything that needs broadcast in the latter category!). Plus maybe a look back through the MFS archives.


Community notes:

  • Was there any stuff that you saw coming up, and it was in June, and you thought to yourself, "pff, June is ages away! I'll worry about it then!" Well, this is your official heads-up that June is pretty much here.

It happened this week...

  • ... on June 3, 2011 at The Gladstone Hotel's Melody Bar.

Mansa Sissoko feat. Cheka Dioubate - Khaira (Good Luck)

  • ... on June 4, 2011 at Rivoli.

Doug Paisley - It's a Dream

[Do remember that you can click on the tags below to go back and find the original posts (and often, more stuff) from these artists.]


Bandcamp corner:

  • I first encountered Madeline Link a couple years back playing in Triples alongside her sister Eva. Back then, Pax was her solo-ish side project, but its since evolved, both name-wise and in terms of focus. The new Take The Cake still has a pleasingly rough-around-the-edges casualness to it, but bespeaks a more focused project worthy of the push its currently getting, whether you were around the first time slack 90's alternative rock was in vogue or not.
  • A bit of a conflict of interest here, as I played on and had a hand in convening this session, but the fact I got to play in a big circle with seventeen other humans (and one dog) that I like spending time in the same room with means I'll also advocate for it on their accounts. Ambisonically recorded, this drone ensemble even tackled our first-ever composition (the title track, created by Patrick O'Reilly to be approachable to sound-makers of all skill levels). Help us listen to whispers from space.

No comments:

Post a Comment