Wednesday, March 7, 2012

1000 Songs: Robert Gibson

1000 Songs: Robert Gibson

I have now posted one thousand songs from my live recordings to this blog. My introductory thoughts on that landmark can be found here, but long story short: I asked some folks to pick some of their favourites to help me celebrate.

Today's list is from Robert Gibson of Toronto's Optical Sounds label (twitter: @OpticalSounds)


Action Makes - Buddies

B-17 - Bad Situation

The Disraelis - In Memory

Flowers of Hell - O [excerpt]

The Hoa Hoa's - Grew Up on The Seeds

Ostrich Tuning - Gender Trouble (Bodies That Matter)

Planet Creature - My Baby

Revolvers - Break it Loose

Your 33 Black Angels - Psycho On Your Side

I promise this started out differently. I love Mechanical Forest Sound's premise as a blog and fully intended to select some great tracks without it turning into an Optical Sounds festival. BUT, how could I include some bands from the label my brother and I founded and maintain and not all of them? So, OUT ya go J Mascis, Love Is All, The Radio Dept, Simply Saucer, etc and IN with our friends and their amazing bands. Joe, you've managed to record every band on our label except Magic Shoppe. This is understandable tho - they've never been to Canada. :)

We're throwing a party on Saturday Mar 10 at Double Double Land in Kensington Market. It's in celebration of Your 33 Black Angels' latest release, "Moon and Morning Star".


You can always click on the tags below to read more about the shows these songs came from. Have there been four or five songs posted here that made an impact on you? If you'd like to get in on the action and make a list, feel free to send me an email: mechanicalforestsound@gmail.com.

1 comment:

  1. Well, as that makes clear, MFS + OpSounds have been a good fit for a while now.

    I think, looking back to the time when I was starting to record shows, that this was exactly the sort of thing I was looking for — a set of bands that were all great to go see live, who supported each other and were building up their own support system from the ground up, not worried about "buzz". Party-lovin', bottle-in-hand rock'n'rollers who nevertheless embraced the notepad-totin', picture takin' dork standing by the speakers.

    ReplyDelete